Re:Picklestein-Clutched in fear or simply clutched!

Subject: Re:Picklestein-Clutched in fear or simply clutched!
From: Dave Ahrendt <ahrendt@atla3.agfa.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:09:17 -0400
snipped .......
We assumed that the problem was the new pilot
bushing(non-soaked, but lubed thoroughly-I feel a dreaded thread opening up
again!) was just a tight fit.  Only the last inch to inch and a half had to
be clamped.....

I remember a previous post where I think you said that you had to tap in
the spigot bush and that the tranny input shaft was a tight fix into the bush.

I always assumed that this needed to be a fairly sloppy fit to allow the tranny
input shaft to stop turning when the clutch was disengaged.  The bush was only
there to "center" the input shaft.  I would think if this was a tight fit that
the
tranny would always be turning and shifting with the engine running would be
difficult.

As Art mentioned, It would be interesting to see what happens if the car is
jacked
up at the back.  It may be less dangerous to leave the ignition off and just
turn the
car over on the starter.  With the clutch disenaged, tranny in fourth, see if
the
wheels turn.

Dees this car have a clutch inspection plate/cover that you can peer into?

Regards, Dave