RE: Tachometer

To: "'Syd Saperstein'" <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>, Les Gould <lesgould@gti.net>,
Subject: RE: Tachometer
From: Phil Vanner <Phil@8.medpower.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 97 14:24:00 PDT
The tach in my Midget barely moves at all in response to the engine RPM.
How would I know if the loop is the right size? How does the size of the
loop affect the reading? It seems like an awfully inaccurate way to
calibrate the thing. My car originally had a mechanical tach and the PO
put an electric in the dash but there was no "doohickey" on the back so I
had to go picking through the carcasses behind my local LBC shop to get
one. I have converted the tach to Neg. ground, and carefully reviewed the
drawings as to direction of the loop, orientation of the doohickey, and
wiring connections. Now, while the tach twitches a little in
acknowledgment of the fact that the engine is running, the results are
most unsatisfactory. Any suggestions?

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget