Re: TD Restoration

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: TD Restoration
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 19:53:04 -0700
Ronald Olds wrote:

> Well Iv'e done it now, I've started my TD restoration.  Yesterday I started
> to disassemble the car. I'm tagging all the parts, taking lots of pictures
> and created a database to keep track of the parts. I would appreciate any
> advise on how to precede. What is the best order to do the work on the car?
> I  willing except any one's advise on what to do or not to do. As work
> precedes I'm sure I will have more specific questions to ask.

In general, AB Bonds message is a good overall summary of the process. I would
add:

* Make a budget for your project. It is incredible how the "$5000" restoration
can become $20K. Know where you are going ahead of time.
* Depending on what other craft projects you have done, budget for basic and
then more advanced tools. The more suitable tools you have the easier it will
be to complete the project.
* As Bonds says, have a plan. Is it a full restoration or a cosmetic facelift?
Include in the plan how much time you can devote to it. Do all family memebers
agree this is a good thing? Also, know what your skills are in - mechanical,
eleectrical, body work, etc.
* If you want to do a real reastoration, the body must come off, the chassis is
fully disassembled, and the frame is sandblasted to start.
* Since my own specialty is bodywork, I would not over worry the body off
issue. The important aspect is to check the condition of the wood frame before
you begin. I use an awl (icepick) and  poke into the wood members. If you can
sink the awl more the 1/16 or 3/32 of an inch, you may have rot in the wood. I
will agree that a total rewooding of the body is a major undertaking, expensive
and requires skill in both wood and metal.
* Bonds comments on the mechanical work are all valid. It may not pay to try to
"learn" the trade on all mechanical work.
* Research and query good vendors. No one can do chrome plating, machining,
painting, and upholstery - even the pros will farm out some of the work. Good
vendors are as critical as anything you will do yourself.
* Above all, do not get discouraged with inevitable hangups. What you must
avoid is discouragement several years down the road, and end up with another
"basket case for sale". I've seen such cases place great strains on family
relations.
* I believe the most important factor is that the project must start, continue
and end up as a really fun thing. I also think the MG list can be a great help
as you go along, as I have found it to be. After 14 years in the restoration
hobby, I am always ready to ask for help and you will find an abundance of it
on the MG list.

Good luck with the project!

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA