Re: wrist pins?

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: wrist pins?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:08:33 -0500
miker15@juno.com wrote:

> So... i went to see a mechanic pal of mine last night and he had a look,
> listen and a scratch of his chin whereafter he declared that he believes
> it to
> be a cracked "wrist pin" which apparently is located somewhere in the
> bowels
> of the engine - my friend is strictly an american iron man and was also
> somewhat busy installing a v8 in a pontiac so i confess i didnt  fully
> understand his
> description of the malady except that it was another of those
> "sharp-intake-of-breath-that'll-costya"
> conversations that we know and love....

Wow. If he's right that is a hell of a mechanic!

The crank spins because the connecting rods are levering the crank around.
The connecting rods are attached to the piston and is what keeps the piston
from taking a ballistic trajectory.

Where the connecting rod mounts to the crank shaft is called the "big end"
and has plain bearings. At the other end, where the connecting rod holds the
piston, there is a pin that is inserted through the piston and the
connecting rod atttaches to the center of this pin (in a slot cut into the
bottom of the piston).

That is the wrist pin. I've never heard one that is cracked.

You're pretty much into a full rebuild to fix. You could pull the pan and
unbolt the rod caps to the connecting rod. Then you could remove the head
and push the pistons out through the top. Then you need to press apart the
rods from the pistons (this is a job for a machine shop to keep from
deforming the piston). But you're pretty much into a rebuild at that point.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The qualities of team players are most highly regarded by incompetent