Re: MGB engine color

To: dirmeyer@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: MGB engine color
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:28:30 +0000
> I'm getting my 76B's engine rebuilt and am trying to find out what color to
> paint it.  I'm pretty sure the original was black, but was it a glossy
> black or a flat black?  Was head, cover, and oil pan all same color?  How
> do you think hot pink would look in a blue body?

For my recent rebuild, I had the mechanic use GM semi-gloss black,
and it looks too beautiful to describe.  I used a bright red for the
cylinder head, since I'm not fond of the stock maroon.  Just make
sure you don't paint the bolts and thermostat cover the same colour,
or it will look like you just dipped the top half of the engine in
paint.  Some contrast is good.  My mechanic didn't paint the bolts,
but he painted the thermostat cover, and it just doesn't look right.
        I have the polished aluminum valve cover, so didn't worry about
painting it.  Black wrinkle-finish looks very sharp, and has a
semi-gloss finish as long as you don't heat it enough to make the
wrinkles huge.  On a previous car, I just left the cover out on a
sunny day, and the finish was just what I wanted.  Doesn't show oil
drops too badly, and it's a rugged finish.
Scott