Re: Running on?

To: tsherman@tecinfo.com
Subject: Re: Running on?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:28:30 +0000
> Scott,
> My 76 did the same after the engine rebuild.  I have
> never determined the cause of mine, but many say
> that too-lean of a mixture, too-rich of a mixture, or
> over-advanced timing are causes.
> Mine does it occasionally but only when it's over 95
> degs outside, but not very often.
> I run 93 octane (I have higher compression pistons)
> Tyson

Thanks for giving me some places to look.  Hopefully I'll have the
timing spot-on after tomorrow, but the mixture may be a little more
hit-and-miss.  I leaned the mixture out once already to get rid of
some black smoke on acceleration, but the colours on the colourtune
don't seem to change as dramatically as they did before the rebuild,
so I'm having a hrder time chasing down the dim, bunsen-burner blue
that Gunson recommends.
        What do you use for a plug gap, and what kind of coil do you have?
I have the 40,000 V Lucas sport coil, and want to go higher than the
stock .032 gap.  I don't have a lot of time to trial-and-error it
right now, since we're leaving on a 900 mile trip early Sunday
morning.  I'm just looking for something wider than stock that I
won't have problems with.  I'll be switching back to the stock NGK
BP7ES, since that's what our new motorcycle takes, and the fewer
different parts I have to keep on hand, the better.

Thanks again,
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com