Stuck Tie Rod End Nut

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stuck Tie Rod End Nut
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 00:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
Just discovered a tear in one of the B's steering rack boots.
Of course I don't want to drive with this, and I already had a
spare set, so out came the wrenches. Well the side with
the tear has a stuck lock nut, the one you have to loosen
to get the tie rod out of the ball joint. The nut has a gash in it.
Looks like it took a pretty good hit from some stone or something.
I don't know if the nut is stuck from being deformed or from rust.
Any ideas on getting it loose? I don't know what to do other than
soaking it in "Blaster" and buying longer wrenches.

BTW, does the rack and the boot share the same oil? In other
words, will the steering pinion loose its lubrication if there is
a tear in the boot? When you put the new boot on, do you
put any kind of lube in it, or does filling the rack with oil take
care of that?

The rod inside the old boot looks like it is covered with reasonably
clean oil, so I'm thinking I found the tear in time. I hope.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - finally home after 2 years in shop, AMGBA #96-12029