Re: 1500 Bottom end rebuild

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Bottom end rebuild
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:10:04 -0400
Hi Folks,
        Well,  the package from Moss arrived today with the big end
bearings.  Unfortunately, they only sent me 5 bolts for the caps - the
other 3 are on back order.  Don't you hate that.  These bolts are black -=

does anyone know the correct torque?  The Haynes manual calls for 50 and =
46
for "colour dyed" and "phosphated", respectively.  I had asked for Moss t=
include the recommended torque for their bolts but, of course, they never=

bothered responding.
        So, my question is - does anyone know where I may obtain bolts fo=
the big end bearing caps for a 1500 Midget?  VB does not list them.   I'v=
tried all of the  "nut and bolt" places here in Raleigh, NC - you can
imagine the response.
        When using assembly lube, do you just lube the inside of the shel=
bearing, or do you just lube it all and put it in?
        Also, there's a question about the oil pump.  It screws into the
"block" and is secured by a nut that runs along the thread.  The nut, whe=
tightened against the "block",  prevents the pump from falling out.  The
pump can, therefore, be positioned at various "depths" in the sump, if yo=
know what I mean.  I would like to screw the pump in all the way and then=

tighten down on the nut.  This way it will be less likely to fall out,
although it will be higher up in the sump.   When I removed the pump, thi=
"locking" nut was about half way down the thread.  This doesn't mean much=

because I think a DPO has been here before me.  I am worrying about nothi=
ng
as usual?
        Is it normal procedure to attach the sump gasket to the oil pan
with red silicone and then bolt the pan to the block? =

Thanks, as always,    Adrian  (1500 Midget up on blocks and nervous)