Re: LBC Theft Prevention/Was Pardon the blasphemy

To: mil76@juno.com
Subject: Re: LBC Theft Prevention/Was Pardon the blasphemy
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 23:44:01 +0000
>       I parked my 76 B on the city streets during my years at Temple
> University in Philadelphia.  This was a part of town where if you left
> anything of value in the car you would be greeted in the morning with a
> smashed window and one less piece of property.  I found that the best
> theft deterrent was to club the steering wheel, drop the top and put on
> the tonneau.  I can only remember one night out of a few hundred where I
> came down in the morning and the tonneau was unsnapped as if someone took
> a look to see if there was anything worth taking.  Most "smash and grab"
> thieves only steal what they can see when they peek in the window, and I
> doubt that many of them even knew how to get under the tonneau.
>
> John Miller
> 76 MGB

Something about these cars... In my Jetta, I had a $1600 alarm that
would start the car, roll the windows up/down, page me, lock and
unlock the doors, and make my coffee in the morning.  With the 'B', I
don't even lock the doors with the top up.
        Putting the tonneau cover on is probably a good idea.  If the thief
can't even see what's in the car, he probably won't bother.  And the
tonneau cover doesn't look like some big, imposing security piece
that cries out "I'm hiding something valuable!"
        On the other hand, is anyone nervous about the fact that the tonneau
covers don't lock on?  I've had car covers stolen before, but I guess
it's pretty obvious that a tonneau cover would be useless unless the
thief had a 'B', and we all know what fine, upstanding citizens all
'B' owners are.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com