RE: I think it's clutch time.....

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: I think it's clutch time.....
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 23 Oct 1997 15:39:05 -0500
In <c=US%a=_%p=TDS-GN%l=MAN-1111-971023191507Z-7757@hub02.tds-gn.lmco.com>,
larry.g.unger@lmco.com wrote:
>>> .... IMHO, if you can rebuild a LBC engine you can rebuild a LBC
>>> tranny.
>>
>> You ever done a TD?  Generalizations can be dangerous.
>
>Nope ... but, I would have expected them to be very similar to the 'A'
>and 'B' trannys ... assumptions can be dangerous too, eh?

You would be wrong in your expectation.  A very different
architecture. The synchro surfaces are swaged and riveted
into the shifting hubs, so that the shifting hubs must be replaced in
their entirety.  The parts available these days (at least as of last
year) do not fit out of the box.  I had to use a considerable amount
of machinist's blue and  _lot_ of filing to get the hubs onto the
mainshaft and sliding freely.  Both the inner and outer
splined surfaces of the first/second gear hub did not fit at
all.  The whole process took about 20 hours of fiddle and
fit. I had to put the mainshaft in my lathe to insure
the concentricity of the hubs.  Not the sort of thing a shadetree
mechanic has in his hip pocket.

                        A. B. Bonds