Re: I think it's clutch time.....

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: I think it's clutch time.....
From: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 00:06:24 -0800
Mike Hartwig wrote:

> At 07:42 PM 10/24/97 -0700, Peter Landy wrote:
> >Mike Hartwig wrote:
> >>
> >>...snip
> >> Still waiting on the engine block and head.  Been one week now and they
> still
> >> haven't gotten my specs for pistons and bearings.  I still have faith that
> >> NAPA will do a good job.  This shop here in Memphis, TN comes highly
> >> recommended.
> >>

> >Hi Jay, although I've heard others mention this before I am not sure why
> >one has to wait a week or more for their engine specs.  Does this have
> >to do with inspecting the various engine components for wear and then
> >the following recommendations which bearings, rods, pistons require
> >rebuilding?
> >

> Sorry about my choice of words there; I have about four manuals which all
> show
> tolerances for bearings and piston rings.  The most thorough for engine
> rebuilds
> is the Haynes manual.  With the Chilton's book second and Lindsey Porter's
> book
> a distant last place(this is a good manual though for other jobs).
>
> The machine shop basically uses their calipers and telescopic gauges to
> measure
> the bore of the cylinder and bearing surfaces for concentricity(roundness)
> and
> dimensions. Then I know what bearings to buy(original or undersized) and if
> I need new pistons and oversized rings, etc.
> The reason my job is taking so long is because I specified a specific
> machinist only; hopefully leaving no room for screw-ups.  I don't know if
> this tactic
> worked though, cuz it's taking much longer and I just found out my distributor
> drive spindle is chipped because of either (1) Stupid Previous engine
> rebuilder(not me)
> or (2) stupid machinist.  But I give the machinist the benefit of the
> doubt.  Moss
> Motors, I'll call you guys Monday to order the new drive.
>
> jay

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply.  If you ask me maybe you did the right
thing.  It is better to wait a little longer to get the engine right.
Someone here wrote about how his engine rebuilding was botched up
because the shop forgot to put back the oil pump spring. As a result he
started the engine with no oil pressure present.  One can never be too
carefull - better late then sorry. Keep us posted with as often as you
can about your progress with the engine rebuilding.

Peter
'74 BGT