Re: MG Alternator swap -- Are you sure you want to?

To: barneymg@juno.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Alternator swap -- Are you sure you want to?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:55:54 -0400 (EDT)
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 01:36:43 EDT, barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord) wrote:

< Recently my Chevy Lumina alternator stopped charging.  Diagnosis was bad
< diode bridge.  In earlier years I could change out the diode bridge for
< about $5, and new brushes were dirt cheap.  Since about 1985 the GM
< alternators have been non-servicable, can't be disassembled for repair
< without destroying some of the parts.  So, $115 for a rebuilt alternator.
< And this comes just a few days after I repaired the MGA generator for $2
< worth of brushes.

< So who can tell us, are these new Delco alternators we're talking about
< putting on the MGs servicable, or do you fork out $$$$$ for another one
< when it craps out?

Barney:

The alternator we are talking about is the pre '85 units, which cost me
$26.99, plus a $15.00 core charge here in Alcoa.

When you buy the alternator for an LBC, be sure to tell the counterman what
you are doing. He sees this swap every day, as 99.99% of the Street Rods on
the road today use this unit. Probably half of the units sold are for
something other than what they originally came on. He can be a big help in
selecting a unit with the correct "clock" arrangement of the terminals. OTOH,
if he tries to tell you how to hook it up, smile, nod your head, thank him
for his help, and ignore everything he said. At least half of them will tell
you wrong.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74