Re: Engine Oil

To: Darby <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Oil
From: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:20:22 -0700
Darby wrote:

> Hello Dennis:
>
> Congratulations on the MGB!
>
> It is not widely known, but when Moses came down from the mountain, there
> was a third stone tablet of commandments (since lost, unfortunately). I
> once saw a rare rubbing made from it though, and Commandment No. 13 stated,
> "Thou shalt run Castrol 20W/50 in all thy LBCs."
>
> David F. Darby
> Hilda, Missouri USA

As the owner of my very first British car I find it peculiar, surprised,
that the MG requires such heavy, thick, oil weight.  The only
explanation I can come up with that anything thinner would probably find
cracks and crevices to creep through thereby increasing oil
consumption.  For sure this will rule out using the slippery synthetic
oils. A shame cause they provide less friction and better wear and tear
control.

'74 BGT
Peter