Re: [Non-LBC] Speed control - dremels etc. (technical)

To: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: [Non-LBC] Speed control - dremels etc. (technical)
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:25:44 -0800
At 11:26 AM 10/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>       Question would one of these dimmers work in place of the headlight
>dimmer? If so they would be a lot cheaper, I've been planning on going to
>Radio Shack to see what they have but have not done so yet.
>...Art

Art.

Sorry, no. The dash light circuit uses a rheostat.  It's expensive because:
         a) it has to be big enough to disipate the heat generated by the
resistance (see my earlier post) and,
         b) you can't buy one just anywhere.

The lamp dimmers internals are designed to work with household AC supply.  A
similar circuit suitable for the dash lights could be put together easily
(and cheaply) by the electronicly skilled for only a few bucks. Because the
car's supply is DC an SCR must be used instead of a Triac.  This bares
looking into.  I've often contemplated a wiper delay module for early cars
and this is another good idea I'll have to contemplate.

I will soon be removing the dash from my GT and when I do I'll do some
serious research into a suitable replacement for the dash light dimmer. I'll
report back to the list when I find anything but don't hold your breath  (I
have to put the TC away for the winter first)

Cheers,
  Ross MacPherson
 1947 MG-TC 3528
 1966 MGB-GT