FW: Rallye MG vs. Triumph

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Rallye MG vs. Triumph
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:34:54 -0700 (MST)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [macy2
<macy2@bellatlantic.net>]]

     Date: Sun, 19 Oct 97 16:06:03 -0400
     From: macy2 <macy2@bellatlantic.net>
     Subject: Rallye MG vs. Triumph

I just got back from the annual Philly MG vs. Triumph Rally and they
didn't. 10 TR's from a TR4A to plenty of TR6's and a single GT6., 5 MG's
- 2 Midgets and a couple B's. The MG's won the trophy!! We went through a
bunch of back roads in upper Montgomery Co.,PA. and ended up at Ragtops
and Roadsters (no affiliation). What a blast. I have never done a
"rallyue" before. I took my daughter (21) and she did the navigating
whilst I drove.  Oops. The scenery was grand - altough I spent most of my
time watching the road. Good twisties a few hairpins and NO Highway
traffic. Kudos to the Philly MG club and the Triumph club for setting
this up. The "suggested" time was 1:35 Kristi and I did it in 1:12.
Obviously I drove too fast. Who cares I had a blast. The winner was a
father daughter team in a B, Second was also a B, Third went to one of
those other guys.

I got the brakes too hot at one point and put the brake pedal to the
floor and a little smoke came from the wheel wells. Then I drove very
causually for a while ;-). The scenery was great typical fall colors and
a little cool. OF the 14 cars there were only 5 that went topless. (Mine
is still in the basement) We had a 30 min drive up to the starting point
about 10:30 this AM. Man was it cool (re: cold) At that point I had to
lift the bonnet and flip the heater valve, first time since I got the
Midget running in July. But it was comfortable after that. Great fall
weather cool, overcast and no wind.

I let Kristi drive the MG home, it is the first time I have ever let her
drive the MG, she did well. Now she wants one ( and I'll have to work on
it ( ;-)  ). All part of the plan. I hate working on her Tracker. It WAS
really weird sitting in the passanger seat. I think I have sat there 3 -
4 times in the nearly 20 yrs we have owned an MG.  And Janet says it is
her car . Yea Right :-0, Hope she doesn't read this.

In case you haven't guessed - I had a blast!!!

Larry Macy
78 Midget