Re: No Brake lights, no signals either.

To: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Subject: Re: No Brake lights, no signals either.
From: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 17:19:38 -0800
On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:
>       Any idea of what car the replacement brake light switch might be
>from, I'd like to try a switch that lasts at least a year.
>...Art
>
>On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 ejrussell@sprynet.com wrote:

>>      Check the hydraulic brake light switch under the hood (bonnet). They
>>don't last forever. If you have 12 volts going into the switch (ignition ON)
>>connect the two wires at the switch together (temporarily). If the brake
>>lights are now on (ignition ON) the circuit is OK and the switch is bad. It
>is
>>a standard US thread, I get replacements locally. I think the original has
>>small screws to attach the wires, I made short jumpers to adapt to what I
>>bought locally...

     Art, I don't know what car the switch is from but it must be a standard
design. I brought the failed original to my (very helpful) local auto supply
store. They glanced at it, pulled one off the shelf and I was all set. The only
difference is that the original has two screw terminals and the replacement has
two bullet connectors. (Or is visa-versa?) I made two short jumpers to adapt
the
MGA harness to the replacement switch. The one in my spare parts bin now is:
BORG-WARNER # S-194  I don't understand why they don't last very long, I get
leary after a couple of years. I recall reading someone's opinion that silicome
brake fluid (which I have used for 10+ years) somehow shortens the life of
these
switches which I don't understand. I have found that quickly changing the
switch
causes only a tiny loss of brake fluid and no air gets in the line. I have
wondered whether the position of the switch (contacts up) leaves a small air
bubble inside the switch allowing it to deteriorate somehow...? I have had the
same style switch in my '41 Chevy truck for 4-5 years with no trouble. It is
mounted horizontally, my theory is that the brake fluid (also silicone) can
somehow get all the way inside therefore it is surviving. Does that make any
sense? Perhaps you could test this theory for us by rolling your car onto its
side when you replace the switch!! Maybe the MG just prefers to keep the Lucas
heritage alive!
        Did you know that the Queen knighted Mr Lucas for his invention of
intermittent windshield wipers? They conveniently neglected to mention his
earlier inventions: intermittent headlights, intermittent ignition, etc!!

 Eric
 Bridgewater, MA
 <ejrussell@sprynet.com>