Re: MGB Roadster?

To: chris@thames-language.demon.co.uk, peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Roadster?
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 17:22:17 +0000
From: Chris Davies

>         Hi MG nuts,

>                I was on my way to work the other day, and started
> thinking about the strangest thing. Has anyone ever converted a BGT to a
> roadster? I know the windows, axle and (oviously) the back seat won't
> fit, but does everything else? I'm not planning to do it myself (the
> body on mine is pretty good when you think how old it is and what the
> weather here in Britain is like), but I'd be interested if anyone else
> has.
> Cheers,
>         Chris Davies

Mike Satur showed one at a Classic Car show in the UK a few years back, it
had four seats (OK, two and two bits) by fitting the cockpit rail further
back (bootlid was in the normal place).  With the soft top off it looked
different, with the top up it looked horrible.

More 'conventional' conversions were being done a while back, at least, when
classic values were higher and the roadster commanded an even higher premium.

From: "John J. Peloquin"

> Dear Netters,

> ...It seems to me that the GT's structural integrety would be completely
> comprimized by such a conversion as the sills of the GT just couldn't take
>the
> weight.

No, the GT *is* stronger, but because of the addition of the roof.  The lower
half is just as strong as the roadster.

PaulH.