Re: New to list, first Q: MGF?

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: New to list, first Q: MGF?
From: Mike Hartley <mganut@accucomm.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 00:19:44 -0500
I don't know if this idea has been entertained on the list or not.  My
memory is going as I get older, which worries me since I am only 23.
Here is my theory.

The MGF is not for sale in the US for one main reason, the BMW Z-3.  BMW
is trying to make a big spash with the Z-3 "roadster".  Since BMW owns
the Rover group, i.e. MG, the MGF would be a direct competitor with the
BMW.  BMW wants to show Porsche and Benz that they can compete in the
sports car market and they do not need the MGF taking away from possible
Z-3 sales.  For this reason, BMW has chosen to keep the MGF off of the
US market.  But I could be wrong, though it does not happen very often
(note the hint of sarcasm :)

Just my $0.00002 worth.

Mike