RE: It was the starter

To: dr-doug@classic.msn.com
Subject: RE: It was the starter
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 14:01:14 -0500
> From dr-doug@classic.msn.com Tue Nov  4 13:00 EST 1997
> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 97 17:52:36 UT
> From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
> To: "Peter Schauss x 2014" <ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov>, mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: RE: It was the starter
>
> Peter,
>
> Yes, you are absolutely right.  As a matter of fact, 2 years ago I spent a
> bundle on a rebuilt starter hoping to solve a similar problem with my C GT.
> Installed the newly refurbished unit and ... same symptoms!!  A new battery
> didn't do it either.  Ended up being a bad ground connection from the (-)
>post
> to the body.  Jeez, that hurt.  I suppose there's a fundamental diagnostic
> moral in here somewhere but if I told you what it is I'd have to publicly
> admit to being a knucklehead so you're on your own!
>
> Dr. Doug
>
> A few 69 MGs - all of which have shiny, frequently cleaned, ground
> connections.

Given the cost of a new starter, I did run a few diagnostics over the
two months since the problem developed.  Here is a summary:

1.  Swapped the battery for a known good one from my Healey.

2.  Charged the battery for a couple of hours.  Low charging rate
registering on the charger's ammeter indicated that the battery
was fully charged.

3.  Cleaned the ground concact for the battery cable.

4.  Checked the voltage drop from battery + terminal to the
solenoid. ( about .25 volts).  Same from battery - terminal to
the starter case ( about .25 volts).  Checked the voltage drop
from the battery + terminal to the starter side terminal on the
solenoid ( value same as above).

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net