It was the starter

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: It was the starter
From: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 11:04:51 -0500
In my last post on this subject, I said that I thought I had solved
the problem of a sluggish starter (sounded like a dead battery but wasn't)
by reseating the lead from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

Well, that held up until the middle of last week.  I stopped at the
postoffice on my way home and when I got back into the car, it barely
turned over at all.  Having apparently eliminated all other sources
of the problem, I took a chance and ordered a rebuilt starter.
I installed it last night and the problem is definitely solved. In the
six years that I have owned the car, the starter has never turned over
so fast, even when I installed the last rebuilt starter three years ago.

So the moral of the story is that a worn starter can cause symptoms
which sound like a dead battery.

Peter Schauss
ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov
schauss@worldnet.att.net