RE: It was the starter

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: It was the starter
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 08:50:20 -0800
I finally resolved my starter problem.... It all started about a week ago
when we had real ugly rainstorm, the drain on one side of the parking lot
at work was plugged and ended up going thru a REAL deep puddle/lake. The
symptoms were a little on the strange side some times it would start,
others you could hear the upper relay clicking but no starter. If you sat
and hit the starter enough times it would eventually turn over and life was
good. Figuring I had a loose connection someplace I cleaned and reseated
every connection that had anything to do with the starter, still had the
problem. Had the battery tested it was good. Checked the ground strap, it
was fine. Finally swapped with another starter that I had. I took the
starter that was in the car into the garage and tested it with a very low
tech test rig, it worked but sounded ugly. Later when I was packing the
starter up I noticed a puddle of water under it. There must be a lot of
water up in the starter causing the problem.

Cheers, Lane