Re: Speed times Compared

To: jello@dns.ida.net
Subject: Re: Speed times Compared
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 06:18:13 EST
On Tue, 4 Nov 1997 23:09:52 -0700 jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates) writes:

>..... My MGA seems faster than my MGB, but then again, it has an MGB
engine in it.  Maybe that makes its performance closer to the twin cam,
but I am quite sure it won't do 113mph.  Anyone have any idea how an MGA
with an MGB engine would do on this comparison.

Tire diameter divided by final drive ratio is about the same, so thrust
at the rear tires would also be comparable.  But, the MGA with a full
frame weighs in at just under 2000 pounds with two gallons of fuel in the
tank, and the early MGB with uni-body construction weighs about 100
pounds less.  Later MGBs weighed a bit more.  Given the same engine, the
early B should have about a 5% edge on acceleration due to the weight
difference.

I suppose you all know why I have an interest in this information.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude