Re: Petrol in crankcase

To: ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu
Subject: Re: Petrol in crankcase
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:30:49 EST
On Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:57:14 -0500 "Gary A. Graham"
<ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> writes:
>Two items:
>
>1.  What are some possible causes for the crankcase to fill with
>petrol?
   A.  A mechanical fuel pump that has a bad diaphram.  This is not
likely, though, on an MGB with its trusty SU.
  B.  Carbs that overflow when the engine is stopped, putting gasoline on
the pistons, where it can flow past the rings into the sump. Check float
valves...
  But a question--how much petrol is in the sump, and how do you know
it's there?  The carbs don't have but a couple of tablespoons full that
they could overflow, and that amount would evaporate quickly when the
engine is started.

>2.  How does one coerce an oil filter off its post? I have a top
>mounted, spin on (so far, not spin off) Havoline oil filter that has
>bested me and my trusty oil filter wrench. Suggestions?
   Assuming that you have already tried the persuasive words that you
learned in the Navy, you could try another type of wrench.  There are the
fabric strap type, the metal strap type,  and  the socket-wrench  type
that fits on your ratchet handle.  There's also the big screwdriver that
you pound through the filter and grab both ends of, to turn the
recalcitrent, slippery beast off.   I've also seen an immense pipe wrench
used, but there's little space to swing that on the oil filter, though
the guy who was using it was prepared to swing it at the entire car in
his frustration.
  If all the wrench sources in your town are shuttered at this hour on a
Saturday, you can also loosly  wrap a light line around the filter about
25 times. Slip a screwdriver or wrench extension into the bight of  the
line, twist it to tighten the line, then lever the screwdriver around to
loosen.
Bob