Re: Petrol in crankcase

To: "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: Petrol in crankcase
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:18:32 -0600
Gary A. Graham wrote:

> Two items:
>
> 1.  What are some possible causes for the crankcase to fill with
> petrol?
>
> 2.  How does one coerce an oil filter off its post? I have a top
> mounted, spin on (so far, not spin off) Havoline oil filter that has
> bested me and my trusty oil filter wrench. Suggestions?
>
> TIA for any help! (I think I hurt myself trying to remove it!)
>
> Gary
> 74 MGB with happy carburettors

I have on occasion had to resort to driving a screwdriver through the
filter. It gives a lot of leverage on a stuck filter. Remember to drive
it thru the entire filter and out the other side, preferably on the un-
sealing  end of the filter.

An alternative is to carefully try and use a chisel on the lip of the
filter to unscrew. Be careful as to not destroy the filter sealing
surface on the engine.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Chuck
56 MGA roadster