Re: Petrol in crankcase

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Petrol in crankcase
From: Chad Cooper <mgb72@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 23:32:40 -0600
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:10:50 -0600
From: Chad Cooper <mgb72@airmail.net>
To: mgs@autox.net

Chuck Schaefer wrote:

> Gary A. Graham wrote:
> >
> > Two items:
> >
> > 1.  What are some possible causes for the crankcase to fill with
> > petrol?
> >
> > 2.  How does one coerce an oil filter off its post? I have a top
> > mounted, spin on (so far, not spin off) Havoline oil filter that has
> > bested me and my trusty oil filter wrench. Suggestions?
> >
> > TIA for any help! (I think I hurt myself trying to remove it!)
> >
> > Gary
1.  In addition to the float adjustment/needle condition make sure that
your fuel pump is not running at too high a pressure, if it is gas will
pass by the needle and seat no matter its condition.  This predicament
drove me nuts on an '80 LE that I worked on for a guy. This is generally
only a problem if you have an aftermarket fuel pump because there
pressures are often too high for the needle/seat and float

2. Make sure, if you use the screwdriver method that you put it through
the filter as close to the top of the filter as possible, other wise you
will hit the pickup tube resulting in damage to the tube.

Hope this helps,
Chad
'72 B Daily Driver