Re: 4 way flashers

To: doug russell <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Re: 4 way flashers
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 20:28:59 +0000
doug russell wrote:

> List,
>
> I recently installed an armrest/center/radio console from a 74B (could be a 73
> as well - I'm not sure) into my 69 Beater.  I'm having a problem getting the 4
> ways to work correctly.  The problem is that only the right side flashes.
> Further inspection reveals that the 4 way hazard switch from the 69 has 5
> connectors while the 4 way hazard switch from the 74 has 6 connectors.
>
> Before I start major surgery here, is anyone familiar with this or know of an
> easy fix or work around???  FYI the Vicky Brit catalog has different parts
> numbers for 69 and 74 hazard switches.
>
> Dr. Doug

The Leyland Workshop Manual shows a five-way hazard switch with a three-way
hazard
flasher and a six-way switch with a two-way flasher.  The difference seems to
lie
with the Light Green/Purple wire that feeds the repeater lamp near the switch.
It
is fed from the three-way flasher on earlier cars and the six-way switch on
later
cars.  Some of the diagrams for interim cars show a three-way flasher with only
two terminals connected, these also use the six-way switch.

The five-way switch connects the Green/White, Green/Red (turn lamps) and Light
Green/Brown (hazard flasher) wires together and breaks the connection between
the
two Green wires (to disconnect the turn flasher) when the hazards are on, the
reverse when the hazards are off.  The Light Green/Purple wire on the six-way
switch is also connected to the Green/White, Green/Red and Light Green/Brown
when
the switch is on.

PaulH.