Re: List subject matter

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: List subject matter
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 11:30:27 -0800 (PST)
Dear Trevor and listers,

How much longer do we have to get regular reports and pep talks from the
List Warden.  I think these lists are just great, cat threads,
political/social concepts, humour, whatever.  The net is a fantastic
educational tool that is able to cross from one nitch interest group to
another. An educated person differs from one who is only trained by an
ability to exchange ideas and opinions on a variety of subjects. Part of
this is taking the time to keep an open mind. The difference is what we
call culture.  There are many people with years of college who are not
educated as well as self educated folks with little formal schooling.

I have been involved with British Cars, writing, operating car clubs and
large meets here in California for over 26 years. I would have to say that
American, British car owners are some of the most interesting, cultured and
colourfull people in the old car hobby. Many aficinados come from foreign
backgrounds well beyond Europe.  A more diverse group of motorheads you
will not find. There's no harm in a little variety between the worn SU
throttle shaft and seepy slave cylinder postings.

Rather than these email digests bringing people together they are breaking
us apart into sub-groups and sub-sub-groups.  The british-car list is
tapering off as we add more specific marque lists and soon the Warden-boy
types will be able to avoid all contact with new ideas by logging on to the
worn SU throttle shaft list or the seepy slave cylinder list.  Remember,
the net is also for having fun and improving your mind ( and if you can
make a few bucks on it - more power to ya! ), not only for instant tech
advice.

Now that I've said that, how about some of you cultured and educated folks
out there checking out some of the web stuff that I've been working on with
fellow lister John Voelcker ( 2 Riley 1.5s, Morris Traveller and a Triumph
TR-6) at Time/Warner New Media. John is the Producer on the Toyota
Cars&Culture Lifestyle website and I have written the Woodie, Convertible,
Pebble Beach Concours and Monterey Historic races articles on the
Carculture channel, the Pedal Car article on the Cars and Kids channel and
all of the car quizes on the Gametime channel.  Notice the heavy British
car content as well as my long lost green MG TD in the Convertible article.
Check it out and let me know what you think.

www.carsandculture.com

See you on the Funway! Rick Feibusch - Venice, CA
1959 Minor Ragtop
1960 Minor saloon
1961 Minor pickup
1969 Malibu coupe