Re: List subject matter

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: List subject matter
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 01:05:30 -0500
> charlie schellinck wrote:
> > Scince this is a democrcy here I sugest that we all take a vote

  Technically, this is not a democracy at all. It's an autocracy,
and the only vote that matters is that of the often-quiet MJB.

  The world we live in is a democracy, but the different
parts of it are not.

  Imagine lunch time at the local McDonalds fast food
place, can you stand up and say "this is a democracy, I'm
collecting votes to see who here thinks this food should
be free!".

  Last time this came up, it was a very observable
trend that the people who thought more chit chat should
happen on the list were members of very few OR EVEN
ONLY ONE list.

  I can understand their desires to expand their internet
social life by branching out. However, they have to understand
that the way to branch out is TO JOIN OTHER LISTS. If you
like Frank Zappa, join a Frank Zappa list. If you hate cats,
I am sure there are lists for that.

  A majority of us here are on more than one list, perhaps
many lists. I get 400 messages a day, which is perhaps why
this issue is so closed to my heart.

  If your are getting 30 posts a day from MGs for a total
email load of 30, it may seem harmless to start a thread
about Frank Zappa. From your perspective, it seems reasonably.

  However, again, it is a mistake to assume that your perspective
is everyone's perspective. There are guys on here that get more
traffic than I do. It's enough dealing with my 400 messages a
day when I have to wade through half of it which is irrelevant
and off topic.

  What about guys who get 1000+ messages a day? I think Kai
for one is in that group. In order for him to get the MG
info he wants, he basically spends a full time unpaid job
deleting everybody else's Frank Zappas.

  Again, things aren't so bad now, so that's cool. But let's
keep it under control. Please, just use some courtesy. If you
have something to say and it's worth saying, post away. If
you have something to say but you aren't sure if it's really
worth posting, think again. Maybe save the message unsent
and decide tomorrow if it's worth sending. It may be just
as irrelevant to you the next day as it would have been to
the other 999 of us the first day.

  Thanks for the time, for anyone who made it through this.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada