Re: Harbor Freight and Paint

To: Joe MacDoniels <macdoniels@HOPE.CIT.HOPE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Harbor Freight and Paint
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:52:41 -0500
At 04:31 PM 11/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Two queries:
>1)  Can you tell me (us) more about Harbor Freight...If a mega store rival
>of Home Depot...be assured that they have not arrived in Holland Michigan
>and accept my apology for asking about what I should already know.

No problem there - they are mainly in CA - a few stores in NV, AZ, and OR,
and 1 in KY.  Here in ALabama - it's mail order.  They have quite a variety
of stuff - and everything I've seen from them is excellent quality for the
price.  Check out their home page at http://www.harborfreight.com.  Request
a catalog.

>2) Would some of you paint experts talk about HVLP systems vs pressure
>systems: advantages/disadvantages; advice for beginners, etc.

Same here - I was thinking about the purchase of an HVLP gun, but my local
auto body supply shop tells me only one body shop in town used them - and
went back to a standard high pressure siphon type gun (I can't recall the
manufacturer).  It appears to me the advantage of the HVLP gun is less
wasted paint and solvent (important in localities where air quality is
stringently regulated) - and not the quality of the finish.  Any experts out
there that could confirm this suspicion?

I'd like to see the thread expanded to painting systems and paint types.

Thanks!

Rich Mason
'73 MGB
Huntsville, AL