Re: Harbor Freight and Paint

To: Joe MacDoniels <macdoniels@HOPE.CIT.HOPE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Harbor Freight and Paint
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:04:42 -0500 (EST)
        There have been several posts giving the address for HF and I have
written about the great tools that I have gotten from them. Some will call
the tools cheap but thats another story. To me anything short of a Unisaw
or Powermatic 66 is junk so judge for yourself when I say give them a try.
On the matter of the HVLP I'm surprised that they still sell the old type
of guns. Anyone thinking about painting their own car should not look at
anything but the HVLP gun. The paint you save alone will almost pay for
the gun. Harbor Freight has several starting at $69.00. If you want a near
showroom look use lacquer. It's almost goof proof. The advantage over
enamel is that you can do it in your drive. I have not tried the base coat
clear coat systems although I was tempted to a few weeks ago. As I was
told by the paint dealer there are 2 top coats. One is clear lacquer which
you have to rub like regular lacquer, the other is enamel which has the
same problems that regular enamel has (slow drying). There are other
paints available, the down side is that a few breaths of them and the
 vapor hardens in your lungs killing you. But hey they look good!
If you need any other info email me directly. BTW you can paint an MG for
about $150!!
...Art