Re: Harbor Freight and Paint

To: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Subject: Re: Harbor Freight and Paint
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 08:30:11 -0500 (EST)
        Using the HVLP gun you need no more than 2 quarts of paint. I
recommend lacquer. Depending on the color it should be $40 or less a
quart. Next you will need 1 quart of surfacer primer, about $25. You will
also need 2 gallons of lacquer thinner about $18 per gallon. A quart of
Prep-Sol and 5 sheets of 400 grit and 5 sheets 600 grit wet& dry sand
paper as well as a few sheets of regular paper to lightly sand the car
before painting. If you are dealing with the original finish and it is in
decent condition you shouldn't have to remove it. If it has been repainted
then you will need to determine what type of finish it has and get advice
from the paint dealer on what to do with it. One last item will be a can
of rubbing compound to rub the lacguer out.This will cost about $7.00.
Paint-          $80
Primer          $40
Thinner         $36
Prep-Sol        $15
Sandpaper       $10
Rubbing compound $7
              ------
              $188

I was a little off from the $150 I for got to add in stuff (Prep-Sol and
sand paper) that I have laying around and therefore don't have to
purchase.
...Art