Re: SPOT WELDING WITHOUT A SPOT WELDER

To: mgb1964@cois.on.ca
Subject: Re: SPOT WELDING WITHOUT A SPOT WELDER
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:00:07 EST
You are on the right track and what you describe is a piece of cake.

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:46:36 -0500 BRUCE PHILLIPS <mgb1964@cois.on.ca>
writes:.                                 My problem is welding the bottom
of the gusset plate to the bottom rail , and hen welding the sill on. I
have tried welding upside down and I don't reccommend it.

It is not bad if you remember which way the weld is flowing.  It is far
easier to pull it down than push it up.

>       I recall last year someone on the list indicating that you can
spot weld by drilling holes through the material and filling the hole
with weld. Can someone enlighten me on a few things before I begin? What
size hole do I drill through the material ?
        A 3/16" hole is plenty.  Remember you are doing more than filling
up the hole-you are trying to make two pieces one.  Get some scrap 18 or
20 gauge material and
practice.
Do I actually drill through all the material or just through the first
layer ?
        The hole should be thru the first layer of material.  If you go
clear through, all is not lost, but it is a little trickier.  Practice
this w/ your practice material, too.  A brass spoon behind will hold the
welding material in but this takes a little more
practice.
what setting on the welder will be bestfor simulated spot welding ?  My
welder is a Lincoln SP120 commercial unit
>. I have the mig unit and am using a combination of gas recommended for
body work.

Here again, get your practice material the same gauge as what you are
going to weld.  Only the real welders (the kind that can weld a snowball
to a Hershey bar) just look and go.  After you get good at the body
stuff, it is mostly the same for al of itl.  It will be trial and error
for you (me, too, usually) until you find the heat and wire speed that
works.

        You might consider a MIG welding class at your local
vocation/technical high school.  I took one a couple of years ago and it
was well worth the money.  Remember mostly that "anyone can be a grinder
but not too many people can be a welder". (My welding instructor who was
younger than my MG.  That was the obligatory LBC content for the list
police, hall monitors, etc.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com

There is no problem that cannot be solved
with either a checkbook or high explosives.