Re: SPOT WELDING WITHOUT A SPOT WELDER

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SPOT WELDING WITHOUT A SPOT WELDER
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:38:11 -0500
At 02:46 PM 11/19/97 -0500, Bruce Phillips wrote:
>I need some help.
>
>       After many weeks and skinned knuckles , I am ready to weld sills ,
>castle
>rails, gusset plates and floors into my 69 GT. I have welded the bottom
>rail , and inner sill on . I have welded the jacking strut on. My problem
>is welding the bottom of the gusset plate to the bottom rail , and then
>welding the sill on. I have tried welding upside down and I don't rec
>commend it.
>
>       I recall last year someone on the list indicating that you can spot weld
>by drilling holes through the material and filling the hole with weld. Can
>someone enlighten me on a few things before I begin? What size hole do I
>drill through the material ? Do I actually drill through all the material
>or just through the first layer ? what setting on the welder will be best
>for simulated spot welding ?  My welder is a Lincoln SP120 commercial unit
>. I have the mig unit and am using a combination of gas recommended for
>body work.
>
>       Any and all help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
>BRUCE PHILLIPS
>64 ROADSTER
>69 GT
>77 ROADSTER

Bruce,

The technique you are refering to is called "plug welding".  It is a great
way to simulate spot welds on bodywork.  Normally, this is done by drilling
a 1/4" hole in only the top panel, securely holding the panels tight
together, and making a small circular weld directly over the hole forming a
"rosette".  The key to successful plug welds is clamping the panels tight.
Be sure to use seam sealer on all edges after your welding to prevent
moisture from wicking into the seam and ruining all of your hard work!

As for settings to use on your machine, start with about half power,
(assuming a  120 amp machine from the Lincoln SP120 name) and adjust from
there.  If the machine burns through too quickly, simply turn it down.  If
it spits and sputters, then turn it up.  Use slightly more amperage for
overhead welding underneath the car although the technique requires some
practice.  Good luck!

Brian Schlorff
Power British        http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars

"Whadya mean it won't pass the smog test?!@*!  It's only a 948 and most of
the time #4 doesn't fire - how much pollution could three little cylinders
possibly make!"