Inspecting Engine

Subject: Inspecting Engine
From: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 19:52:20 -0600
Wow, engines seem to be a hot topic this weekend!
Now, I have the right socket and am about to try to
pull off the crankshaft nut (engine is out of car).
This is an engine that has sat for 13 years.  A healthy
amount of water was mixed into the black thick
what-used-to-be motor oil.  The engine turns
over freely and there is a ridge at the top of the bores.
This is the same engine I said squirted water when
I turned it over.
How can I tell if this engine needs a full rebuild?  I know
the flywheel needs help...it's rusty.  The water passages
are rusty and the bores have a faint touch of surface
rust.
Do I go ahead and pull the crankshaft or must I measure
the bearing clearances before.
Eager to learn!

Tyson