Re: Inspecting Engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Inspecting Engine
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:06:17 -0500
Hi Tyson:

I didn't realize that you had the engine out when I offered my advice.
Vince has wisely pointed out that if you do what I suggested you must
disable the ignition.

Regarding your crankshaft.  It isn't necessary to measure the bearing
clearances if you are going to remove the crank.  Once the crank is out you
must use a micrometer to measure the journal diameters.  This will tell you
whether the crank is in need of turning or can be refitted as is.

The amount of water you are finding in this engine is worrisome.  You will
have to completely disassemble the engine and send it out to be hot-tanked
and inspected.  The crank will have to thoroughly cleaned as well.  I
suggest that you might consider having a good machine shop look at the
whole thing before you start spending money.  The engine may have suffered
terminal damage, in which case you will need to find a good rebuildable
core.

John McEwen