Re: MGB Front Suspension Rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB Front Suspension Rebuild
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 13:28:30 -0600
Bert Palte wrote:

> Graham wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Any ideas of how to compress the spring without the help of a couple of
> >Sumo wrestlers?
> >

> I designed and made a special tool for this job, kind of a spring compressor
> that works
> from the inside of the spring.
> I have gratefully used the fact that there is a large hole in the center of
>the
> lower spring seat.
> This hole now accommodates sort of a very heavy, stepped washer of my tool.
> Too bad I'm not an ASCII graphics artist, but I can assure you that the
> method or, rather, tool I devised is efficient and very safe.
>

> Hopefully this gives you some idea.
>
> Bert.

 Graham,

I have had the same problem with my A. I had the body and engine out of
the frame. The suspension was tight against the rebound bumper. I solved
this by substituting several buckets of sand and my 18 yr old son in
place of the engine/trans/body over the front of the chassis. This
allowed me to jack under the spring plate to remove tension on the
assembly and release the swivel pin from the shock. Then by placing a
jack stand under the frame, the jack could be slowly released and the
spring removed from between the a-arm and chassis.

Chuck Schaefer