Re: No LBC content/ was: driving questions / now: ice gets bigger than w

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: No LBC content/ was: driving questions / now: ice gets bigger than water
From: "J. Neil Doane" <root@yeah.indstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 16:10:07 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> The key to this cunundrum is your statement "When water freezes and *turns*
> to ice..." (emphasis mine). Water and ice are two different things. When
> water, a liquid, freezes, the molecules re-arrange themselves into a
> crystaline structure, a solid. Simply put, the molecules in the solid ice are
> spaced further apart than the molecules in liquid water.

After my authoritative-sounding commentary on how water is most dense at 4
degrees celsius (and ice expands and your dog's bowl is busted) is refuted
by Dan's statement here, I made a call to a professor of chemistry friend
of mine and lo...
                               Dan's right!  (*ack!*) :P

(Well...mostly.  The statement below:

> Water expands when heated and contracts when cooled.

Is true other than for those 4 small degrees between 4 degrees Celsius and
0 degrees Celsius, when water contracts when heated and expands when
cooled.) _Water_ is most dense at 4 degrees Celsius...ice's volume is
effected little by temperature...or so I am told.  As Dan said, the change
to a crystaline structure (as my friend says "a crystaline
lattice") apparently does the damage and expands H20 to break the tub (or
blow the blockplugs.)

I bow to the mighty Dan. :)

...now I just need to find that damned high school chemistry
teacher.Grr...

neil doane