Re: No LBC content/ was: driving questions / now: ice gets bigger than w

To: mgb.roadster@juno.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: No LBC content/ was: driving questions / now: ice gets bigger than water
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 19:41:00 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-12-01 13:37:51 EST, mgb.roadster@juno.com writes:

<<
 Does anyone know why this happens?  Any explanation needs to be related
 to me in the lowest common denominator so I can understand it!  I once
 asked my son to ask his science teacher this question.  I think my son
 thought the teacher would make him to figure it out on his own ,,,,,, he
 never asked.

Larry,

   Water is able to absorb more gasses when it gets colder: this causes an
increase in volume(If you wish to see the gasses leave put a pan of water on
a stove).  The exterior of the water freezes first trapping the gasses
inside;look at an ice cube-the bubbles will be in the center.  As the water
crystalizes in the interior the gasses are "released" in the form of bubbles.
 This too causes an increase in volume(often in the form of a raised top as
this is the only direction available for expansion.  So, the bottom line is
that the expansion is caused by the water's ability to absorb more gas as it
cools.  Although this is an elementary explanation, what else did you expect
from an elementary teacher?
Tom Green
1979 MGB