Yankee go home?/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?

To: Philip Raby <philip.raby@eos-magazine.com>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Yankee go home?/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 07:33:03 -0500
At 11:31 AM 12/2/97 -0000, you wrote:
>I've seen far more Japanese cars in the US than in Britain or Europe. The
>US car industry was a joke until a couple of years ago, when it pulled
>its socks up and started trying to catch up with foreign imports.
  But as bad as it got, American cars held a majority of the market.

>In fact, I looked at some US offerings at the London Motor Show and was
>disappointed at the poor quality engineering and materials. Just compare
>a 98 Corvette with a 98 Jaguar and you'll see what I mean.
 Now come on Phil! Compare the PRICES (at least in US). And I think anybody
in the know will tip their hat to Ford for Jaguar's new found quality
control. Until very recently, Jags from the late 80s up were known around
these here parts for falling to pieces on the dealer's lot.

>Some British car companies may be owned by foreign investors, but at
>least they produce decent products.
  They must keep the good 'uns then. The L-R Discoverys sent over here have
been plagued by trim, rust and electrical problems. Land-Rover mailing list
overflows with such complaints about BRAND NEW vehicles. And I used to check
out the MGF BBS, and I can tell you that there was a drumbeat of complaints
that would have sent the average American consumer flocking into the Mazda
showrooms for another look-see at the Miata.

>There's nothing unusual in this foreign investment - British companies
>are very good at buying US companies. Look at Burger King - owned by
>Britain, but still very much American.
   Burger King is regarded as stagnant in the American market. Now maybe I
know why? ;-)

>There seems to be an arrogance among some Americans that makes them think
>that they are the most technologically advanced country on earth. But the
>USA is about the only part of the world where you can't use a GSM digital
>phone - you're still struggling with analogue, your car radios don't
>boast RDS, and you're not adopting digital radio broadcasting next year.
>Ummm, glad I live in good ol' Blightly.

Those ARE so important in the technological scheme of things;-)

Seems to me that as our poor old British cousins are assimilated into the
European Union they are starting to adopt some of that Frenchie resentment
of things American?