Re: Yankee go home?/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Yankee go home?/ was Re: TR7 - Good or Bad?
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 16:19:59 -0800
The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com> wrote:

>overflows with such complaints about BRAND NEW vehicles. And I used to check
>out the MGF BBS, and I can tell you that there was a drumbeat of complaints
>that would have sent the average American consumer flocking into the Mazda
>showrooms for another look-see at the Miata.

The very same Miata that broke crankshafts for the first couple of
years of production and Mazda wouldn't (and still hasn't) 'fessed
up to?  Hmmm, if I remember my MGB stories seems they had a
problem with the cranks breaking...during the Sebring 12 hour
race.  Then they made a better block.  I've never heard of
3-main MGBs having crank failures in street use.  Of course
Mazda fixed their problem too, but according to them, there
was no problem.

For anyone who thinks Jap = wonderful, check out:

http://www.bhs.com/fca/mazda/saga.htm

Something like a class action lawsuit or some such
regarding the TT RX-7s.

and

http://users.deltanet.com/~bousman/miata/crank199508.pt1.html

Tis like my boss said when he saw the Spec RX-7 for the
first time.  "Oh yeah, typical Japanese paint job."

Again, I've just not been impressed with anything Japanese,
in the order of dealing with 'em:  280ZX, '86 Honda Prelude,
'82 RX-7, '97 Honda Prelude.  The '97 Prelude (a college buddy's
car) is ok, but the trim isn't so great (come on, what outside
of a custom interior with wilton wool and leather is gonna
be?), and I'll bet with a few more miles it'll have
all the same old problems.  Paint fades.  Dashes crack.
Seats tear.  Suspensions sag.

These days cars are not long term investments.  No matter where
in the world they are made, they are (for that fat part of the
bell curve) nothing more than appliances.

-Keith Wheeler

Team Sanctuary