RE: why MG?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: why MG?
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 16:48:49 -0600
Why an MG? Because I always wanted one, and it's one of those rare =
things where the having lives up to the wanting.

I wanted an MG because nothing else would do. It's not about the 'safe' =
or 'practical' thing to do, it's about dreams. It has something to do =
with an image I had of the heroes of the Battle of Britain; I always =
pictured MG Midgets parked by their airfields. It is about green hedges =
and country roads; an escape from everyday reality to a romantic =
unreality that never existed anywhere else outside of my heart. It's =
because everything looks better through the windscreen. =20

It's for  the quick, light steering, and the simplicity.  It's because =
of the sudden elation I feel after taking a corner a little too fast and =
getting away with it .  It's because I like the way my face hurts from =
grinning after a spirited drive, and because I like the satisfaction =
that comes from knowing that I keep it running myself.=20

It's kind of like, if you ask a New Yorker why they would put up with =
that impossible city; because it's worth it, because it's like nothing =
else.  If you have to ask...

It's a common man's "something special" in an otherwise ordinary world.=20

Phil Vanner
'61 Midget ($2300 and usually in the passing lane)    =20
=00