Re: why MG?

To: MGSMGBGT <MGSMGBGT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: why MG?
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 13:25:08 -0800
MGSMGBGT wrote:

> In a message dated 12/3/97 7:06:04 PM, pvanner@pclink.com wrote:
>
> <<Why an MG? Because I always wanted one, and it's one of those rare things
> where the having lives up to the wanting.

I'd have to say that one of the main reasons that I bought an MG was the
history of
the marque.  It's just something to round a bend at speed in my 'B and imagine
I was
in a pre-war hill climb.  There's also something magical about the octagon.
It's not
an emblem, it's a talisman, I tell my friends and family.  There's also some
appeal
in having something that you don't see everyday.  Sure, a Miata might do this
or that
better than my 'B, but who's gonna get more looks at a drive thru?  Then
there's the
list-named "Gee whiz factor."  Whadya think the guys at Pep-Boys said when I
showed
them how to take off my wire wheels?  "Gee whiz!"  Maybe the friendship has
something
to do with it too, but I'd never have guessed it would be like this.  You know,
buying a water pump for the MG for Christmas, spending late nights working on
the car
and talking to (or cursing at!) him all the way.  Of course, there's some
friendship
on this list too.  8-)  Plus, it's nice to have a catalog of parts to choose
from,
even though we don't have 300 page catalogs like the Chevy and Ford muscle
cars, we
still get some neat stuff.  Quick - name another American car that can sport a
roll
bar!  Why did I get an MG?  I didn't.  It was fated for me to buy one.

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College