Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 09:21:16 -0600
Keith,
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.  Let's see...thanks for
mentioning some of the car makers that produced wedge shapes that PREDATE
the 7.
Rust:  At our dealership, we had 7's that had rust perforation in under 1
year...we thought that Fiats were bad before that!!  And this was in Texas!
 However, you DO have a point about the B's...after 20 years, or so, they
rust.
You are correct about improperly modified B heads..they fail.  On the other
hand, we had TR-7 heads that failed during the grueling drive to the
7-11....lots of them.
Gear boxes...Yep...the layshaft problems on the A series cars were well
known.  "Course, THAT gearbox was designed in the 40's and the 7 'box was a
product of the '70's.  Too bad the design group retrogressed in the
intervening years.  BTW, the Spit trans had the same troubles as the A
trans....Dough!!  The B trans was nearly bullet-proof in comparison.
Look, I'm sure that by now the surviving TR7's have improved to the point
that you can take them out in the rain and enjoy shifting gears on a
winding road while revviing the engine to the design redline, but when they
were new, you were taking a chance doing so.
History has a habit of improving the way people look back on most things,
and the TR7 is one of those things.
I saw a guy looking at a Lancia (Fiat) Beta the other day, and recalling
the joy he had in it.

Ray