Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 12:22:00 -0000
The Stag was a lovely car in many ways, but it had some design
weaknesses - primarily in the engine (which tended to suffer warped
heads, particularly if poorly maintained) and the body leaked like a
sieve (even with the hardtop).

You hit the nail on the head, Nory, when you said you've only seen one -
they were not a success in the USA and were swiftly withdrawn. The Stag
continued on sale for several years in the UK, and nowadays they can be
made very reliable.

Someone who was a high-up in BL North America told me that the company
bought back problem Stags from disgruntled customers, and one of these
cars was stripped down and re-built for this high-up's own son. Junior
put something like 50,000 miles on the clock in three years with no
problems.