RE: MG trip to England (Going off topic to Brewing Art)

To: hert@worldaccess.nl, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, philip.raby@eos-magazine.com
Subject: RE: MG trip to England (Going off topic to Brewing Art)
From: Chris Nevard <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:23:56 -0800 (PST)

---hert@worldaccess.nl wrote:

> Philip wrote:
> > > I'd agree that Belgium makes some of the best lagers, but for a
good
> > pint of bitter, come to England....
>
> Chris wrote:
> > I Think most Belgians would be mortified if you call Leffe or Duvel
> > 'lagers', they are top fermented brews very similar to English ale.
> > Only the tourists really drink the lager. Most cafe's in Belgium
have
> > a 'beer menu' with a choice of anything up to 100 + ales. - Try the
> > Trappist brews or if you're bold go for the unfiltered 'Geueze' by
> > Cantillon - makes a pickled egg something you give to the baby by
> > comparison.
>
> Chris, you are very right, the lagers in Belgium are for their
breakfast. There are six 'Trappist'
> beers, five from Belgium, one from Holland. Only trappist monks can
brew these, I once had a
> tour of the brewery and monastery here by Brother Samuel (86). He
talked a lot because of the
> beer and the fact that he'd lived under a vow of silence for thirty
years. Their quadruple beer
> (10%) is HEAVY!
> MG-bit: I offered Brother Samuel to swap cars (hey bro! wanna
trade?): my MGB for the
> monastery's 1952 DAF fire engine. He turned it down, alas.
> BTW: most trappist beers should be served lukewarm, just like
bitters. I usually throw them in
> the fridge anyway.
> BTW 2: one none-trappist belgian beer is called 'Mort Subite':
Instantaneous Death ......

> Peter
> 74B

What about 'Detierim Tremors' (spelling may be wrong) another one!
Obviously a week one!

==
Chris Nevard

"If all your cattle have been rustled by brigands, all your money has been lost
in a foolish investment, and your spouse is  persistently unfaithful. It does
not necessarily men that your house will not burn down"

<http://www.mgcars.org/cambs.mgoc/images2/chris.jpg>
Work <nevardc@sky4.bskyb.com> Other <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>