Re: MG trip to England (more off-topic by the hour)

To: spridgeteer@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: MG trip to England (more off-topic by the hour)
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 15:37:18 EST
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997 06:16:44 -0800 (PST) Chris Nevard
<spridgeteer@yahoo.com> writes:
>---Phil <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/12/97 11:27 am Littlesuzn said
>>
>> >But that's only to your face........ behind your back, we're not as
>> >charitable.
>> Bloody colonists ;-)
>> >Remember Gallipoli !!!!!!!!!!!
>> Nope, my history's not good. Enlighten me.
>>
> 'Gallipoli'. . . Not sure about this one either - is it something
>that happens to you after you've had some stale shellfish! ;-)

 No, unfortunately.  Gallipoli in this reference is something far worse,
one of the incomprehensible human events that call into question the idea
that mankind is on the top of the evolutionary pyramid.
 Gallipoli is a peninsula on the west side of the Dardanelles.  During
WWI, it was decided by the Brits that the peninsula should be invaded
from the sea, the territory being Turkish and Turkey being an ally of
Germany. The lads directed to do the landings were, principally, from New
Zealand and Australia.  The invasion was a disaster, and the troops on
shore were left there without reinforcement for weeks. In addition to a
disaster, it was a disgrace for the casualty rate was appalling.   WWI is
noted today for its casualty rates, and the dogged determination of
strategic planners to continue pushing an immovable object against an
irresistible force.