MGB spin on filter alignment?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB spin on filter alignment?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 01:10:28 -0500
Just doing the first few things on the 1970 MGB
project car I bought last week.

   I had a HELL of a time getting the old spin on oil
filter off. All the time I am thinking "who the hell
would put an oil filter on this tightly". I eventually
had it ripped into dozens of twisted metal shards and
was able to rip the bottom piece off using some
improvised tools.

  However, putting on my new oil filter, I noticed that
the threads seem off-alignment to the gasket surface. The
front edge touched quite a lot before the back edge.

  In effect, I became a DPO because I had to torque the
oil filter down VERY hard to make the gasket touch all
the way around. I am not sure if I made a seal, I guess
I will find out when I start it up. ;>

  Is there a way to fix this problem? To align the
two surfaces somehow? Can something be bent a little?

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada