Re: Distributor -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor -Reply
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:34:06 -0500
Ken,

The points in a dual point distributor are actually connected in parallel
not series. Otherwise one set would have to be insulated from the breaker
plate. None of the dual point units that I have now or had in the past have
used a set of points insulated from the breaker plate.

I have always understood the benefit of the dual point setup to be to allow
longer coil saturation times. You probably could do the same thing by
closing the gap on a single point setup but would quickly overheat and
damage the points. The dual point set up gives twice the current carrying
capacity of the single point setup.

One may argue that there is a period of time that one set is open while one
is closed thus putting the full burden of the coil on one set of points but
that would only be a fraction of the time that a single setup would have to
endure at the same amount of current. Also, one might argue that you could
put a beefier set of single points to do the same thing. I would think you
could but there would be physical problems w/ inertia and getting stability
in the point set.

That's my 2 cents worth.

At 09:06 AM 12/18/97 -0500, Kenneth Scott <KSCOTT@HOLYCROSS.EDU> wrote:
>If the points are in series, the charging will be done only
>when BOTH are closed.  If they are slightly out of phase and
>in series the closed time will be decreased, won't it?
>Ken Scott  77 MGB

Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB
'76 MGB