Re: MGB Aftermarket Fuel Pump

To: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Aftermarket Fuel Pump
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 23:46:46 -0600
Bob MGT wrote:

> I just discovered that my B has one of those "solid-state"
> fuel pumps. It's just a small cube with a power transistor
> case on the top side. This thing is noisy and never stops.
> Is this normal operation?

Yep. That's normal. You are the owner of the world's cheapest fuel pump.
The good news is that I've never heard of one actually wearing out. They
usually are relgated to (quiet) spare parts in the boot duty. The better
news: you can sell it to your running buddies for $50 if you get to pick
the location.

> (The electric SU pumps I'm used to stop when the bowls are full.)

That's not the only time they stop.

> Are these things any good?

The SUs? No, not really.

> The PO mounted the thing in the right rear wheel well, doesn't
> seem like a good place to me!

Yep, that's where mine is. It's turbine cooled by the mag wheels.

> BTW, anybody know how these things work? I can't
> imagine how anything so small could do the work
> of the the big SU.

Sounds like Larry Dickstein's dating stories.

Seriously, go to a real parts house and ask for a universal 3 to 5 PSI
electric fuel pump. The parts man should pull one out that looks like a
big metal fuel filter with two wires hanging out. Buy it.

While you're there, ask to buy a fuel filter that screws into the inlet
side of your new pump instead of brass house inlets.

All you need to know is your fuel line I.D. which I think is 1/4 inch.

The SUs are a bladder-style pump which do cycle on an off and burn up
their points fairly often. The up side is that whapping it with your
dead cat not only lowers your blood pressure but can even get the pump
working again for awhile. Can't get original shit like that in the
aftermarket anymore.

But the modern ones have a rubber impeller, I think, that constantly
spins inside an egg-shaped cavity. They run all the time as the rubber
impeller "gives" as pressure builds to the rated output. At least I
think so.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69CGT, 75TR6, 60Elva
"Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist change places."