Re: Car Clubs and comments on Ricks ideas

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Car Clubs and comments on Ricks ideas
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:50:52 -0500
>This is a hobby not an investment! I probably have $5,000 more invested in
my car than it
>is worth. If I wanted to make a profit that money plus the original cost
of the car would
>be invested in the stock market. Our goal is to get the younger
generations interested in
>this hobby. Teenagers want something hot so they can show off the the
girls in the crowd.
>It is the pre-teens and the over 25 group in which we must build interest.
When was the

Hey! I'm 19 and I'm sure I'm gonna impress the women with my B! Well, I may
be in the "over 25" group when I can afford to do it all, but hey, I'll get
there.

>last time you let a kid sit in your car to get his picture taken by Dad at
a car show.
>Did you ever give a kid a ride around the exhibit area. Did you see the
joy on his face.

Rick Brown saw the joy on my face as we drove from his house to the
Doylestown, PA show last October. He even bought me an EggMcMuffin! =)

Seriously, probably the one thing that got my ass in gear was the fact that
I met so many great people via this list, and the show. (Plus, since I won
the MG T-Shirt, I just HAD to get the matchinf car!)

I'll tell you - the drive home sucked - having to drive my Mercury home
after riding in a nice A. Well, I rolled the windows down and drove with
the wind in tribute.

>These kids are the future of this hobby. They probably won't be able to
afford an MG or
>other LBC for 20 to 30 years but they will be the ones to preserve the
cars when we are
>pushing up daisies. Both of my sons (age 28) drive modern iron. A Cherokee
and an
>Outback. The thought of owning an MG never crossed their mind until they
drove my TC. It
>will be a long time before either can afford any kind of an MG, but the
seed has been
>planted, and they both want one. Exhibit your car at shows. Talk to
strangers about the
>hobby. There is a crowd around my car at every show. What seems like a
million questions
>are asked. I try to answer every one. Don't spend all your time at shows
talking to other
>MG owners. They are already hooked. Give your neighbor or the kid next
door a ride around
>the block. Drive your car in a parade. Get other people interested in the
hobby or the
>generations to come will be driving LBC,s as recycled metal in Japanese cars.

Nooooooooooo!

You mean someone's old T got crushed and turned into my girlfriend's Mazda
Protege???

I'm *never* getting into that car again! <g>

BEN RUSET - mailto:bruset@monmouth.com
MG Cars Webring Admin.
MG Cars Webring - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis/mgcars
Safety Fast! - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis